Let it be known that I’m #totallynotafoodblogger. Which is probably fairly obvious given the lack of recipe posts on this little blog. I’m often reminded of the time I phoned home to ask how to boil an egg.
These days I do alright in the kitchen, I get by, but only because I have to! You know, keep the family alive and all that. I do however have this go-to easy Mexican Avocado dip recipe thanks to my MIL Jean which gets rolled out fairly regularly.
It’s a fave amongst our crew and is requested at every single BBQ we have and also when we take a plate to friends BBQ’s. Our mates have even been known to rock up early so not to miss out on this goodness. It’s that good!
I get asked for this recipe all the time, so given its now officially BBQ season, and almost the weekend, I thought I’d share my MIL, Jean’s recipe. And it’s easy peasy…
Easy Mexican Avocado Dip
1 tub of sour cream (always use full cream for better consistency)
1 sachet of taco seasoning
1 bunch of spring onions
2 roma tomatoes
2 ripe avocados
1 pack of tasty shredded cheese
2 x packs of Doritos or whatever corn chips you prefer (nacho cheese is my preference)
- Mash the 2 avocados in the bottom of a shallow bowl as the base
- Mix the sour cream and taco seasoning in a separate bowl until combined
- Spread taco seasoning & sour cream mix on top of avocado and spread with a spoon
- Dice tomatoes and spring onions (enough to cover the top) then sprinkle on top
- Scatter grated cheese on top
- Serve with Doritos
- Jean says this dip is a bit trial and error. You might like less taco seasoning to more sour cream. You might want less tasty cheese on top. Just play around till you get it perfect.
- Mix the sour cream and taco seasoning and leave it in fridge, even overnight if you like as it seems to thicken. And it’s convenient too if you’re having people over and need to prepare lots of things at once.
- And always use full cream. Trust me, I’ve tried the lite stuff and its just too runny.